Friday, November 30, 2012

Meatloaf Muffins

Not only have I been blessed with two girls with allergies, one of them is as picky of an eater as they come.  She enjoys "chicken on the bone" (aka drumsticks), salmon with rice and broccoli drenched in balsamic vinegar, and pasta with spaghetti sauce.  And that's about it.  I get stuck in a rut of making dinner for three, then throwing a pot of pasta on, or grabbing a rotisserie chicken on the way home from preschool.  Every now and then she surprises me by eating a helping of carrots or chicken breast.  But usually not.  I have had to get tricky about serving vegetables, and have learned a lot from Jessica Seinfeld's book Deceptively Delicious.  I have a shelf in my freezer devoted entirely to pureed vegetables that find their way into pastas, onto sandwiches, and mixed into rice.

Last week I decided to mix up my turkey meatloaf recipe a bit.  After adding a few key ingredients that I thought Grace would find appetizing, I took it a step further and made it into muffins rather than a loaf.  Wouldn't you know it, she was impressed.  She even ate two!

Here is my recipe for a gluten, dairy, egg-free meatloaf:

1 1/2 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup cornflake crumbs (or gluten free oats, or do 50/50 for fun!)
1 1/2 tsp Egg Replacer mixed with 2 T warm water
1 T brown sugar or maple syrup
3 T ketchup
1 T Worcestershire Sauce
Dash of salt and pepper
I also threw in 2 tablespoons of pureed spinach and called it parsley :)

Combine all ingredients and mash together.  This is easiest done with your hands.


Scoop into greased muffin tin, I used my cupcake scoop x2 for each muffin.  I also use grapeseed oil for greasing.  I use this fancy gadget.



Top with a dollop of ketchup and a sprinkle of brown sugar


Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes









These were great paired with rice fusili pasta and sauce (which consisted of Prego spaghetti sauce mixed with pureed sweet potatoes). 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment