Monday, April 8, 2013

Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins, Minus all that Sugar!


I have to admit I was a little unsure of when I would have the time this weekend to post anything.  However, I found a few spare moments before our babysitter is to arrive and my husband whisks me off on a date, so here we are.

The past couple of weeks have been pretty busy, but when is life NOT busy?!  Emma had her surgery which went well, but it definitely took her a week or so to get back to "normal."  She seems like her self now, and that is awesome.  So, that has been my main focus, and the blog took a back burner.  I won't apologize for that, but I am happy to be posting something new!

My newest venture....I have decided to kick sugar...well, as much as I can.  I never used to have the sweet tooth that I have since going gluten-free.  It seems like the success of a lot of recipes I have tried depends on sugar.  And the bottom line is, we are eating too much of it!  The more sugar I eat, the more I want.  And it's just so bad for you, in so many ways.  So, I made a delicious cake for an auction using up all of the tiny white granules from my pantry on Friday, and I've resolved to buy no more (unless someone wants me to make something for them!).  I do, however, have agave nectar, honey, and maple syrup.  I know these are still sources of sugar, but how does one (especially one with little kids) eliminate this stuff all together?!  I think these are a little healthier....right??

Well, here's a scrumptious blueberry muffin recipe using agave nectar.  Moist, sweet yet tart, and overall pretty much heavenly.  Better yet, the kids love, and that's what matters in the end!  This is a great basic recipe to have, you can substitute the berries for anything.


Gluten-free Blueberry Muffins (Refined sugar, dairy-free too!)
2 cups Basic Gluten Free Flour Blend
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup melted Spectrum shortening
3 teaspoons egg replacer + 4 tablespoons rice milk
¾ cup rice milk
¾ cup applesauce
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup berries

1.    Preheat oven to 350.  Grease or line a muffin tin.
2.    Mix together the first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl.  Set aside.
3.    In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg replacer with the rice milk.  Add the remaining wet ingredients.  Blend on medium-low about 1 minute.
4.    Gradually add the flour.  Blend on medium-high speed about 2 minutes, until the batter is smooth.
5.    Mix in the berries by hand.  Spoon the batter evenly into the cups of the muffin tin. 
6.    Bake at 350 for 24-28 minutes (if baking mini muffins, 12-16 minutes)







No comments:

Post a Comment