Monday, February 18, 2013

Brian's Famous Chicken Pot Pie

Historical Fact:  Wendy's fast food restaurants is named after a family member.  Current Fact: This dinner of mine is named after a family member.  My brother, Brian, in fact has never even eaten my chicken pot pie, but as part of a negotiation in regards to the content of this post, he got naming rights for my meal.  I suppose it's fair.  I am, after all, about to reveal some highly personal information about Brian.  

Not a single person in my family can hear or speak the words "chicken pot pie" without busting up laughing.  When Brian was potty training, he used the phrase as an indicator that he was "ready."  So, one of my parents, 99.9% of the time my mom, would trudge off for wiping duties.  I'm not really sure why my brother chose to belt out "CHICKEN POT PIE" at the top of his lungs from the pot, but it worked.  And chicken pot pie was never looked at the same in our house.  

I honestly don't recall eating chicken pot pie much as a kid, if at all. So, it's strange to me that this was his chosen phrase.  Teriyaki chicken, spaghetti, fajitas, even meatloaf, but not chicken pot pie.  And I've never made it as an adult, either.  Until now.  And I'm so glad I did!


Is there a right or wrong way to eat a chicken pot pie?  This is more of a Chicken pot soup with biscuits, but the taste is all the same.  I first baked up some biscuits, then cooked up the "filling" as they baked.  I chose to eat this meal in a bowl with a fork.  My girls ate it like a sandwich.  


Multi-Grain Biscuits
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup dairy-free, soy free shortening, chilled
2 (6-ounce containers) plain or vanilla vegan yogurt (I use So Delicious)
5 tablespoons rice milk

1.  Preheat the oven to 375.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2.  In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt.

3.  Cut in the chilled shortening with a pastry blender until you have a pea-sized crumb.  Add the yogurt and 3 tablespoons of the rice milk.  Stir until combined.  

4.  Flour a work surface, and turn out the dough.  Lightly flour your hands and sprinkle the dough with a little flour, as well.

5.  Pat the dough into a 1-inch thick disk.  

6.  Use a biscuit cutter, cookie cutter, or round drinking glass to cut out the biscuits.  Transfer them to the baking sheet.

7.  Brush the tops of the biscuits with the remaining 2 tablespoons of rice milk.  

8.  Bake for 16 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.

9.  Transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack.  

Filling
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 stalks celery
4 tablespoons brown rice flour
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning spice
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup rice milk
1 (12oz) package frozen vegetables - I used country style with corn, carrots, green beans (the hubs doesn't eat peas, but I think they would be tasty in this meal)
2 cups cooked chicken - leftover rotisserie chicken was fabulous
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Heat the olive oil in a heavy pot over medium.  Add the celery and cook for 2 minutes, stirring a few times.  

2.  Add the brown rice flour and sprinkle in the Italian seasoning, stirring for another 2 minutes.  Combine the broth and rice milk in a microwave-safe cup or bowl.  Heat for about a minute in the microwave.

3.  Add the warmed broth-milk mixture to the celery mixture, stirring vigorously.  Add 1/8 teaspoon salt and simmer for a few minutes until thickened.  

4.  Add the veggies and chicken.  Heat through at a simmer.  Add more salt and pepper as desired.  

5.  Decide how you like to eat it, then dig in.  Pour filling on top of biscuits, between biscuits like a sandwich, under biscuit topping, the possibilities are endless.  Well, maybe not endless, but I'm sure there's plenty more!




Yummy, according to the kids.  I concur!





No comments:

Post a Comment