Monday, March 4, 2013

Gluten-Free Breakfast Bars


                                    

What a relaxing morning!  My girls both slept past 8:00 which gave me plenty of time to catch up on some reading, take an uninterrupted shower, and even enjoy a quiet cup of coffee.  We are easing back into reality, which is always difficult when you've been on vacation and haven't been on any sort of a schedule.  The sunshine is calling me, but my girls are playing happily together in the playroom, and I really don't want to interrupt or discourage them.  They are currently "angels helping God build the planets." Apparently God used Legos....and what a good job they're doing



So, while I was planning on making a quick trip to the store and then playing at the park this morning, I decided to make up a batch of breakfast bars while my angels play.  Maybe we'll get to the park later.  


These bars smell really yummy in the oven.  They were super easy to make - it took all of about 5 minutes to dump everything in a bowl and mix.  





Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
2 cups gluten-free rolled oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
1 cup oat flour (easily done by pulverizing in blender for a couple minutes)
3 tbsp protein powder (I use Jarrow OrganicBrown Rice Protein Powder)
1 cup raisins
 ¼ cup molasses mixed with ¾ cup warm water
 2/3  cup applesauce
 ¼ cup brown sugar
  ½ tsp cinnamon
  ½ tsp salt
 Add-ins: chocolate chips, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, etc.

1.  Preheat oven to 375, grease a 9x13 pan.
2.  Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
3.  Put mixture in prepared pan and spread evenly.  
4.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.
5.  Remove from oven and cut into bars while still hot.
6.  Wait until the bars cool completely before removing from pan....if you can help it!

I am going to try to freeze some and refrigerate the rest.  My guess is they will keep for about a week in the fridge, if they will last that long!



And the verdict is.....both girls (and I) are on their second bar.  And now that we have full bellies and lots of energy, I think we'll head to the park!








No comments:

Post a Comment