Monday, January 14, 2013

Anniversary Dinner - Molasses Balsamic Glazed Salmon & French Yogurt Cake

Today my husband and I celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary.  Pretty cool if you ask me.  We've had a great six years.  The day we got married it was freezing cold, and there was snow on the ground.  We had recently had a snow and ice storm making the roads very treacherous.  But our guests still came and it was a fabulous time!  I'm not kidding when I say we had a blast.  If I could live my wedding day all over again, I totally would.  I loved every second of it.  Except for the cake.  Apparently it was really good, because by the time my husband and I went to have a piece, there was none left (and it was not a small cake!).  Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, as at the time I had not yet gone gluten-free, so it would have been a guaranteed bloat-fest and tummy ache!  So, I make it a point to bake a special cake every year for our anniversary.


Now, on with the food.  Because we celebrated over the weekend with a lovely night out to dinner and the symphony in Seattle, I really didn't go out of my way to do anything special for dinner.  But I did of course make a cake.  For our main course tonight we had salmon with a balsamic molasses glaze (recipe below).  And for dessert I made a slight variation of Cybele Pascal's French Yogurt Cake from my trusty baking bible, The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook.   All were a hit.  Have I mentioned my kids are obsessed with salmon?  They are.  And I love it, too. We eat it once a week.  


Molasses Balsamic Glaze Salmon
1 large filet salmon (I usually buy Coho or King, and always wild never farmed)
Glaze
4 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
pepper to taste

1.  Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking pan with foil.

2.  Mix all glaze ingredients together in a bowl.

3.  Place salmon in baking dish and pour glaze over the the top

4.  Bake for about 25 minutes



French Yogurt Cake (Recipe calls for yogurt container to be used as the "measure")
1 (6oz) container vanilla coconut yogurt (I use So Delicious)
1 1/2 "measures" sugar
1 tablespoon egg replacer mixed with 1/4 cup rice milk
1 "measure" canola oil
3 "measures" basic gluten-free flour blend
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a loaf pan and sprinkle with a little flour.

2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine all the ingredients, adding them one at a time in the order listed, beating on medium speed after each addition.  Beat until smooth, about 1 minute.  Pour into the loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour, rotating pan halfway through.

3.  Let cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack.  Slice with a serrated knife.  Serve plain or with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or dollop of sorbet.


I can't wait to try this again with a little orange or lemon extract and zest.  I also can't wait for my husband to finish putting my daughter to bed so we can actually enjoy a slice together!



No comments:

Post a Comment