Monday, January 21, 2013

No-bake Cookies

They say bad things happen in threes, right?  Well, I'm not superstitious by any stretch of the imagination, but I do hope there is some truth to that old saying.  Last week it was the ER and stitches in Grace's head.  Then over the weekend, just minutes after the sitter showed up, the same kiddo started puking (thus inducing major panic among the parental units over possible concussion symptoms...she's ok, probably a virus she picked up in the ER).  And finally,( at least I hope!) today after mixing up cupcake batter for my husband's birthday tomorrow, I realized not only was my oven not hot, but the house smelled like gas.  After repeated tries to get it to light, and of course opening every door and window in my house, I came to accept that my oven's gone kapoot and I am stuck bake-less for the moment.  Well, not totally.  You see, it is a blessing for many reasons that my mom lives two blocks away.  Many reasons, many reasons!

It seems ironic that our baby-sitter would show up Saturday night with the ingredients and recipe for No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Coconut Cookies, given the current state of my oven.  Too bad for my kiddos they never got to make them with the famed Miss Angela because we ended up staying in with our sickie and sent our sitter home.  After Grace was feeling better, we pulled out all our ingredients yesterday and gave these a shot.  And since they were a hit, and since I cannot currently bake, I suppose we may just have to make them again!


Miss Angela's No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal & Coconut Cookies
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup Spectrum shortening
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups gluten-free oats
3/4 cup shredded coconut

1.  Bring the milk, shortening, sugar, and cocoa to a boil for two minutes.  

2.  Remove from heat and add the vanilla, oatmeal, and coconut.  Mix thoroughly.

3.  Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper and let dry.  Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment