Sunday, January 27, 2013

Homemade Protein Bars

It's raining, it's pouring.  But, boy am I glad to be able to see farther than a foot in front of me.  All that dreary fog we had for well over a week was getting the best of me.  I was going crazy with claustrophobia!  Plus I love my rainboots, and am looking forward to pairing them with some cute sweaters in the week to come.

In other exciting news, besides our fabulous weather, my brother is officially engaged!  He popped the question to his amazing girlfriend last weekend.  We celebrated with a delicious dinner and champagne toast at my mom's house last night.  I am so excited and honored to get to be a bridesmaid.  I can't wait for the big day.

Another source of excitement for me is my new training schedule.  My goal is to run one more half-marathon before training for a full (probably this summer).  So, I'm going to do the Run, Ladies, Run half in Friday Harbor in March.  This is going to be an awesome girl's weekend with my mom and dear friend Lynn, and hopefully an equally awesome run.  To start prepping, I have been on the lookout for some "better" nutritional sources.  I find I get so hungry as I am running.  I typically turn to Clif bars, but not only does that add up cost-wise, it does in sugar and junk ingredients, as well.  Not finding what I was really looking for, I decided to try making my own, and I will never go back!  Not only do these taste amazing, but they are packed full of good, pure, organic ingredients as well as protein and not a lot of sugar.  I made these with almond butter, which I do not serve to my kids simply because I'm too nervous to try.  But we keep it in the house as a protein source for my husband and me, since we don't do peanut butter.  I think sunbutter or any other nut butter would easily work in this recipe.  Will someone please try and let me know? :)


Homemade Protein Bars
1 1/2 cups gluten-free oats
1/3 cup coconut flakes
2/3 cup nut butter
1/3 cup honey
1 mashed banana
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)


1.  Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.  This is easiest if you use your hands.  Messy, but easy!

2.  Refrigerate for an hour or longer.

3.  Roll into balls (the size really depends on preference.  I rolled mine into 2-3" balls)

4.  Refrigerate or freeze






So here is the nutritional breakdown per ball, which will obviously vary depending on brands of ingredients used and size.  This list is based on the ingredients pictured above:

Fat - 5.5g
Carbs - 32g
Fiber - 8.5g
Protein - 10g
Sugar - 10g

Compared with Clif Chocolate Chip bar, who's main ingredient is brown rice syrup and includes over 30 other ingredients:

Fat - 7g
Carbs - 40g
Fiber - 4g
Protein - 10g
Sugar - 23g

Not bad, right?  





No comments:

Post a Comment