Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Coconut Oat Pancakes


It never fails.  I am up, showered, ready for the day, and my kids sleep in...forever.  I hit the gym at 5am on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  I love my early morning runs/workouts.  Not only does it free up time during the day with my kids, but it really gets me moving and energized for the day.  I love that I am home, and usually back in bed reading, before my husband leaves the house.  This month I started Rachel Wojnarowski's Read Your Bible in a Year Challenge.  Today is Day 16, but because everyone was snoozing this morning, I read ahead a couple of chapters.  Woohoo!  After the hubs left, I took my time getting ready, and couldn't believe my girls were still sound asleep after a shower, load of laundry, 2nd cup of coffee, and two wardrobe changes.  I decided I would lure them out of bed with the delicious aroma of coconut pancakes.  Delicious indeed!



Not only is coconut super healthy for you (full of fiber, low glycemic index, and gluten-free to name a few benefits), it is very tasty too!  In our house, we drink coconut milk, eat coconut yogurt, cook with coconut oil, and bake with coconut flour.  Moisturizing with coconut oil or lotion is fabulous, too!  This morning I mixed coconut flour with oat flour (which is super fancy - throw some gluten-free oats in a blender and process til it's flour) and whipped up some pancakes.  Tropical paradise on an icy morning, can't beat it!  And yes, they did come running for breakfast.  Well, at least the one that wasn't trapped in her crib did.  


Coconut Oat Pancakes
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 cup oat flour
2 teaspoons egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons rice milk
2 1/2 cups coconut milk, possibly more if your batter sits for awhile
2 tablespoon melted coconut oil
optional - a couple teaspoons of sugar or agave, frozen berries, chocolate chips 

1.  Whisk flours together thoroughly to break up any clumps.

2.  Add 2 cups of coconut milk, egg replacer mixture, and melted coconut oil.  If batter is too thick, add more coconut milk 1 tablespoon at a time.  

3.  Using a ladle, pour batter onto a slightly greased griddle.  Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side.

I always find that the longer coconut flour sits, the more moisture it soaks up.  Duh.  So, I end up using a lot of moisture when baking with coconut flour.  If you feel like your batter is too runny, just let it sit for a couple minutes, it won't be runny for long!  I think these pancakes could benefit from some sweetness, and so did my sweet-toothed 3-year old.  The next time I try these, I may add a tablespoon or two of agave nectar.  Or just use extra syrup :)





No comments:

Post a Comment