But I did yesterday! And boy are these scones, or "cones" as my 3-year-old calls them, yummy. This is a recipe adapted from Cybele Pascal's book, The Allergen-free Baker's Handbook, which is my go-to book for most of my baked goods. This particular scone recipe is great as-is, or you can dress it up with berries, chocolate chips, dried fruits, etc. My kids are particularly fond of the chocolate chip version, as am I!
1 (6 oz) container vanilla vegan yogurt (I use So Delicious coconut yogurt)
1 cup rice milk + 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 cups Multigrain gluten-free flour blend
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup grapeseed oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the yogurt and rice milk mixture. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add the rice milk mixture along with the canola oil. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined. At this time, I add Enjoy Life chocolate chips or frozen berries if I am in the mood to spice things up.
5. Flour a work surface and turn out the dough. Lightly flour your hands and sprinkle the dough with a little flour, as well.